Shockwave for Erectile Dysfunction

More and more men are having shockwave therapy to fix their erectile dysfunction, either at a clinic or self-administered. This is a forum to for men to discuss what experiences they have had, what treatment they used, and what results they obtained.  The goal is to get men to share their ideas, trials, successes and failures in order to help other men working to improve their mojo as well.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/24/2019 9:33 pm  #1

Upcoming LI-SWT for ED Clinical Trial

Looks like we may have some good data in about a year. Mayo Clinic is hosting a clinical trial in Jacksonville, FL.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT04136288

10/25/2019 6:49 am  #2

Re: Upcoming LI-SWT for ED Clinical Trial

manthor wrote:

Looks like we may have some good data in about a year. Mayo Clinic is hosting a clinical trial in Jacksonville, FL.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT04136288

Cool!

10/25/2019 9:53 am  #3

Encouraging, but sample size seems small to me ... only 10 men. 
I also can't tell if they intend to include a control group.

12/03/2019 5:34 pm  #4

I started seeing a urologist yesterday to get sat up for alprostadil injections. During conversation with him I asked him if he had heard of shockwave therapy for ED. He said not only had he heard of it he used to offer the treatment but stopped because no one was getting any benefit from treatments but him. He said there was no real proof at this time  it helped, but if I wanted a treatment he would get his machine out and plug it up for $300.  

12/04/2019 8:48 am  #5

Marlin wrote:

During conversation with him I asked him if he had heard of shockwave therapy for ED. He said not only had he heard of it he used to offer the treatment but stopped because no one was getting any benefit from treatments but him. He said there was no real proof at this time  it helped, but if I wanted a treatment he would get his machine out and plug it up for $300.  

Actually there are a lot of studies that show that it works. I cite lots of them on shockwavefored.blogspot.com. What they show is that it doesn't help severe cases of ED. I wonder what protocol he was using, and if he checked for improvement 8 weeks later, or just right after.

As far as aprostadil is concerned, it works great, but alone it may give you an achy feeling. Trimix adds two other meds to the injection and doesn't have the ache that aprostadil alone may cause. If you have a bad experience see if you can get trimix.

12/04/2019 10:56 pm  #6

10 participants is an extremely small study - too small to prove much of anything.  I looked at the link to the study description.  Study participants will have very mild ED - men who currently successfully have sex about half the time, on average.  Study inclusion criteria includes an IIEF-EF domain score of 17-20.  Here are the questions, with score values adjacent each choice:

Q1: How often were you able to get an erection during sexual activity?
0 = No sexual activity
1 = Almost never/never
2 = A few times (much less than half the time)
3 = Sometimes (about half the time)
4 = Most times (much more than half the time)
5 = Almost always/always
Q2: When you had erections with sexual stimulation, how often were your erections hard enough for penetration?
0 = No sexual activity
1 = Almost never/never
5 = Almost always/always
Q3: When you attempted sexual intercourse, how often were you able to penetrate (enter) your partner?
0 = Did not attempt intercourse
I = Almost never/never
5 = Almost always/always
Q4: During sexual intercourse, how often were you able to maintain your erection after you had penetrated (entered) your partner?
I = Almost never/never
5 = Almost always/always
Q5: During sexual intercourse, how difficult was it to maintain your erection to completion of intercourse?
1 = Extremely difficult
2 = Very difficult
3 = Difficult
4 = Slightly difficult
5 = Not difficult
Q15: How do you rate your confidence that you could get and keep an erection?
1 = Very low
2 = Low
3 = Moderate
4 = High
5 = Very high

Including only men scoring 17 - 20 means a very narrow band of ED severity will be considered by this study.

The device used, "MoreNova" is shown in this video:

The vendor's web page for this product is here: https://www.direxgroup.com/products/erectile-dysfunction/morenova

I saw the device for sale for U.S. $4,750 here: http://www.shockwavetherapystore.com/product/direx-morenova-erectile-dysfunction-eswt-unit/

The device is described as "linear" shock wave.  The applicator wraps around the entire length of the penis.  Operation is hands-free and the entire penis is zapped.  The video describes treatment as taking 15 minutes, suggesting that a low frequency is used.  At 2Hz, 1800 shocks would be delivered in 15 minutes, so that is my guess for the frequency.

Board footera