Shockwave for Erectile Dysfunction

More and more men are having shockwave therapy to fix their erectile dysfunction, either at a clinic or self-administered. This is a forum to for men to discuss what experiences they have had, what treatment they used, and what results they obtained.  The goal is to get men to share their ideas, trials, successes and failures in order to help other men working to improve their mojo as well.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2019 1:19 pm  #1

a little light reading for those with vein leaks in their funsticks

I decided to do a little reading on vein leaks. I've not been diagnosed with one, but I'm thinking that's my problem based on the anecdotes from here and the limited reading I've done. Today, I read this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1995196/

The interesting focus of this article is that the collagen and elastic fibers ("ECM", which you'll read about in the next reading) in the Tunica Albuginea are different in those penises with veinous occlusions (vein leaks) causing the CC to not fully blocks the veins. A little later, it hit me that I remember reading that shockwave therapy has long been known to promote collagen synthesis...see here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3666498/

Here's a carve out from the article I just linked: "A tendon is a tough band of fibrous connective tissue, that usually connects muscle to bone and is capable of withstanding tension (1). Microscopically, the main components of tendons are the cells (tenocytes) and the Extra Cellular Matrix (ECM) (collagen, elastin, and ground substance).Due to overuse and trauma, tendons are subjected to tendinopathies. The “injury” generally results in inflammation and degeneration, or weakening, of the tendon, which may eventually lead to tendon rupture. It was believed, in the past, that tendons could not undergo to matrix turnover and that tenocytes were not capable of repair. However, it has been shown more recently that Matrix Metallo Proteinases (MMPs) have a very important role in the degradation and remodeling of the ECM during the healing process after a tendon injury. In response to repeated mechanical loading or injury, cytokines may be released by tenocytes and can induce the release of MMPs, causing degradation of the ECM and leading to recurring injury and chronic tendinopathies. A variety of other molecules are involved, on the contrary, in tendon repair and regeneration. There are five growth factors that have been shown to be significantly up-regulated and active during tendon healing: Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-I), Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF), Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF), basic Fibroblast Growth Factor (b-FGF), and Transforming Growth Factor beta (TGF-beta).

So, if the TA in a penis with veinous occlusion is missing its ECM causing ED, then possibly, its the same mechanism we are looking for from this treatment, correct? I've always thought that I was looking for additional blood vessels and kind of other generic items, but it appears those with Vein Leaks specifically may be looking for collagen production to occur, which is a known result of shockwave therapy.

If nothing else, I'm going to get myself to believe this to benefit from placebo affect, right? Have a good one!

Board footera